Thursday, August 7, 2008

And he shall be named Leonidas.....or not

Naming your first child can be a very difficult task, but for us I thought it would be a breeze. Nigel has had a boy name picked out since before we were married. I didn't love it at first; but after mulling it over for 9 years it's grown on me. Then he watched the movie 300. He decided he really liked the name Leonidas. For those of you who don't know about the movie 300; it is about King Leonidas and a force of 300 men who fight the Persians at Thermopylae in 480 B.C.
Leonidas....seriously? "It's a strong, masculine name" Nigel said. For a split second I thought, "Well we could call him Leo". Then I thought about that kid in school whose name the teacher always mispronounced during role call. I thought about the little 1st graders who would taunt our son. Leonidas? More like Pee-on-idas.
I immediately came to my senses and put the kibosh to Leonidas. Nigel still thinks we should have a back up name, but my guess is we'll go with the original and leave Leonidas to the Spartans.

3 comments:

frances said...

I am so very happy that you have and will change his mind. Pee-on-idas indeed!

Kimberly Pye said...

I think I have to go with Nigel on this one; that's a pretty freakin' cool name!

But it's your kid, so I shall not meddle in these affairs.

BTW, everybody's giving their kids mispronounceable and hard-to-spell-able names these days, so it's okay. ;)

Lembkes said...

I didn't know you guys have a blog! I haven't seen you around in a while, but I am soooooo HAPPY, for you guys!!! I have been praying for you and your little one. Good luck with baby names.