Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Starting Solids

Last month I decided to take Caleb to the next step and introduce solids. You are supposed to start with a rice cereal mixed with formula; so this is what I did. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, but I kept hearing that starting solids might help Caleb sleep through the night. I also was really excited to start something new. We didn’t have his high chair available so we decided to use the bumbo chair.
Mistake number 1.
At that time Caleb was pretty good at holding his head up on his own, but he hadn’t quite mastered it. I had the bright idea to feed him right before his nap.
Mistake number 2.
I shoveled it in his mouth without letting him slowly get a taste for this new sensation.
Mistake number 3.
The entire episode was a disaster and I felt awful afterwards. I thought I might have possibly turned him off to solids for good and I would have the only 1 year old that was still on formula. He was so frantic through the whole thing, but I just kept on going.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Danielle. Hey - no mistakes there. You did a perfect job?? What else would there be to do?? The only thing Caleb was thinking was why is this not coming as fast as my bottle normally does - ah ha!! He no longer has the sucking power to pull all the food in when he wants - it's in your hands now...so that was new for him....but - hey.....mistake free - I'm sure he's horsing the stuff into him now!

Thanks for reminding me how fun that stage is......until you get bored of having to think of creative meals all the time!! 3 meals a day...for the next 18 years...like, what's THAT all about??!!